Saturday, March 30, 2013

Soap Challenge 2013: Week 1 - Tiger Stripe

Last week I signed up for a soap challenge.  Amy Warden from Great Cakes Soapworks (http://www.greatcakessoapworks.com/handmade-soap-blog/) initiated this soap challenge and there are several other soapmakers from around the world participating.  Amy did a soap challenge last year but I missed out and was really disappointed, so I was quite excited that she introduced a new one for 2013.  I was quite thrilled about week 1: Tiger Stripe.  I decided to make two different batches, one using Essential Oils and natural colourants and the other using a fragrance oil and micas.

The first batch I did was the Essential Oil blend with Bergamot, Grapefruit, Mandarin and Wintergreen.  I used Activated Charcoal, Annatto and Dulse for the colours.  I have used Activate Charcoal and Annatto several times and I love the way it mixes and how the colours turn out.  I have never used Dulse before and it didn't mix very with in the oils, but I still think it turned out all right, even if it is a little speckled.





The second batch is Blackberry Spice using mica colours.  I am thrilled with how both these batches turned out and now that I know this isn't all that difficult, I will definitely be making more soap using this technique.  The results are stunning!






Thanks Amy for putting on another challenge.  I look forward to learning new skills and techniques in the coming weeks ahead.

16 comments:

  1. Both soaps are so pretty, but I have to say that the red one is amazing! You got so evens and beautiful stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! They are both so pretty! So glad you are able to participate in the challenges this year, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! They're beautiful! I like the color combinations you chose, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are both perfect! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Fun colors in the orange one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that additional speckle in the natural colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both are beautiful, but I'm a typical girl- vote for the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crystal both of them are gorgeous! I must admit a preference to the second one - amazing.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love them both, you sure have nailed the tiger stripe well and truly, gorgeous :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful soaps! The red one is pretty stunning!

    ReplyDelete