Saturday, April 6, 2013

Soap Challenge 2013: Week 2 - Elemental Swirl

Welcome back to week 2 of Great Cakes Soapworks Soap Challenge.  This week the challenge was to do an Elemental Swirl.  This challenge made me nervous and excited at the same time.  Nervous because I have never attempted anything like this before and the fact that timing is everything.  I certainly didn't have time to procrastinate.  I was worried that my soap batter was going to thicken way too quickly and that it wouldn't work out.  I used a fragrance oil that I had never soaped with before (which really isn't a good idea when trying something new - especially with swirls).  It worked in my favour, to my relief!  I had to pre-plan everything out.  It took me awhile to decide on which colours to use.  Excited because I have seen this technique before and wanted to try it but too nervous too!  LOL.  So it is a good thing for this challenge, as I probably wouldn't have attempted this on my own.

The process went ok but I am disappointed with the results.  I like how the bottom layer turned out but I am not happy with the top layer.  I think it looks too muddy.  The colours I used didn't do it justice either.  Oh well, I tried, right?  I am not sure I would do this technique again though - only time will tell.  At the end of the challenge I will be posting all the soap challenge photos on my Facebook page.









12 comments:

  1. Oh, don´t think your soap looks muddy. The swirls are so pretty and much thinner than I got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you did this.... so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After you said the top layer was muddy, I was expecting muddy soap - not AT ALL what you have! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job! I love the depth of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! Those bars are beautiful. They look so impressionistic - which I see is the point. LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super creative interpretation of the elemental swirl, this design is gorgeous! =)

    ReplyDelete