Saturday, April 13, 2013

Soap Challenge 2013: Week 3 - Mica Top

Week 3 is a Mica top challenge.  I have seen many other soapmakers do this and love the look of it.  I think it looks fantastic when there are at least two different colours used but for my first time, I thought I would go with one colour.  I have lots of things to do today, so time is valuable.  

I decided to use Honeysuckle fragrance oil and a hot pink mica.  I wanted to do a swirl throughout the soap and had visions of a very fine swirl.  Well, as most soapmakers experience, what we have in our heads is not exactly what ends up happening!  We have really good intentions but sometimes the soap batter has a mind of its own.  My mixture traced quite quickly and I really had no idea what to expect since I have never worked with this fragrance oil before.  It wasn't bad, just thicker than what I would have wanted, so I made the best of it.  In the end I think I used too much pink colour for the swirl as I find the mica top gets lost with the soap mixture because there is too much pink.  The next time I try this technique (yes, there will be a next time), I will use more than one colour and something contrasting that really "pops".  As you can see by the photos - my "hot pink" mica turned orange.  It still works for Honeysuckle though!











13 comments:

  1. Pretty! I've seen so many awesome mica tops this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice soap, I love the colour you used :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out great! I love the colour you got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the orange that looks like fire works much better that the pink. It is almost like the orange swirls inside the soap continues on the top of the soap. I like it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pink went sort of a salmon color, too. Hmm...but your swirls are beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its really nice, the colors are really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colours,so warm and girly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful!! Sometimes simple is best. I really like the look of just the two contrasting colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is beautiful!
    Hummer Hugs,
    Misty
    http://deliteful-gifts.blogspot.com/
    hummingbird204 at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  10. What vibrant and intense swirls, the colors are fabulous! =)

    ReplyDelete