Monday, June 10, 2013

Peacock Swirl Challenge

I have decided to participate in a monthly soap challenge put on by Amy Warden of Great Cakes Soapworks.  She put on the previous challenge and although it was a little overwhelming because of it being weekly, I still loved it because it really inspired me to do some things that I have seen other soapmakers do and wanted to try, but never actually did it.  The challenge forced me to do it, which is good for me because I am somewhat a bit of a procrastinator.  I work better under pressure and under the gun.

This first challenge is the peacock swirl.  I have seen this technique several times and I oh and ah EVERY single time I see pictures.  I was worried about my soap setting up too quickly (which it did as you will see in the video) and about the tools I had.  

I used my large slab mold and I usually have some issues with this mold as my soap usually comes out really soft.  The mold comes with dividers and I always struggle with releasing the soap from the dividers so I decided not to use them.  I used Ylang Ylang essential oil and coloured it with activated charcoal, neon blue, neon purple, and green chrome oxide.  The colour combination looked awesome in my head but it ended up turning out too dark for my liking.  I think it looks cool, but next time I will do more contrasting colours to really make it "pop".

I used a comb instead of hair roller piks or skewers and I now know that the comb is not a good idea.  I have since purchased the hair piks and will make my own contraption for the next time.



Sorry about the bad pictures, I didn't have a lot of time to edit them.







5 comments:

  1. I really like the colors and your swirl is awesome - love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour combo on this one and the swirl turned out nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say it worked out just fine!! Isn't it amazing to see it all come together?? I love this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I don't typically use darker colors in a Peacock Swirl but yours turned out so amazing that I'm definitely going to have to try it out. Thanks for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful peacock swirl, and I really love the color combination!

    ReplyDelete