Wednesday, August 14, 2013

If at first you don't succeed, try again....and yet AGAIN!

This months challenge is the Holly Swirl named after Holly from Missouri River Soap who created this swirl technique.  It is also called a swirl within a swirl. The technique looked easy enough and I was really excited to take on this challenge.  I thought is was going to be fairly easy peasy.  Uh huh, well I did two attempts at this soap.

First attempt:

I used a fragrance oil called Juniper Breeze from Bramble Berry that I have never soaped with before.  This is never wise as you don't know what is going to happen and you hope for the best.  I used neon purple for the base colour and wanted to do a neon blue and yellow swirl.  For this batch it wasn't the fragrance oil that was the problem - it was the soaper, aka, me.  I wanted to keep my soap batter fairly thin and I thought it was at the perfect consistency.  Well my blue and yellow swirls turned green and basically turned into green globs in the bars.

When I cut the bars the next day I summed it up that my batter was way too thin and I would try again with a thicker batter.  This is the video and pictures of the first batch.








Second Batch:

Again I decided to use another fragrance oil that I have never used before - Rice Flower & Shea from Bramble Berry.  BIG MISTAKE!!!  My batter basically thickened as soon as I added the FO.  Now what?  Well I ended up spooning and glopping it into my swirl bowl.  As I am doing this I am thinking - how in heck am I going to pour this into the base colour?  Yeah well I ended up spooning my swirled mixture into the base colour that was already in the mold.  Of course it was just getting thicker and thicker.  My swirled colours started mixing together and turning a little brown - nice!  Now having said that, I am actually ok with how the bars turned out overall - considering everything that the poor soap batter went through.







Overall, I know the first batch was too thin and the second batch was way too thick.  I would like to attempt this swirl technique again but I will use a fragrance oil or essential oil that I am familiar with.


32 comments:

  1. Lovely soaps. I like your choice of music for the videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stamp is so cute and the colors are nicey combined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the look that the stamps bring.

      Delete
  3. I think they're both beautiful swirls!

    http://maitribathbody.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The second one has pretty and well defined swirls and your stamp adds a lovely touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second batch turned out really well for all the problems you encountered!! I never would have guessed that it set up on you if you hadn't said so. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really shocked that it turned out as good as it did!

      Delete
  6. They're both gorgeous, great swirls and I love the colors on both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, nice job on working out that thick traced soap! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like having to re-think things when you are recording!

      Delete
  8. So pretty, both soaps! I love the little stamps...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both of them, but the second batch looks like a winner. I am beginning to think a thicker soap batter would be better for this technique. You can't tell you had any issues with the FO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a medium trace would be ideal. Next time.

      Delete
  10. This soap turned out so well! Nice job trying again. Your tenacious spirit paid off! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne-Marie, you are my soaping inspiration and I get giddy every time you comment on my blog posts. Thank you!

      Delete
  11. I like the second one! The colour combo worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both soaps are very pretty! I love the cute song on the first video! What song is that? It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, the song is actually called Fish Heads. It is quite old but I remember it from when I was a little girl. Always brings back good memories.

      Delete
  13. The point of challenges is to challenge yourself. The second one is a great challenge entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely challenged, that is for sure.

      Delete
  14. Thanks everyone for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate it when the soap sets up too fast - I always get flustered and rushed and feel like a complete idiot flitting around the soap room. It's happened more times than I can remember.
    Then we hit that perfect pitch - that time when the trace is perfect, the scent is right on, and we can make a great soap and feel good about it. Those times are what keep me coming back over and over.
    Plus - your soaps turned out radtastic, so it's a win-win!

    ReplyDelete